Spark plugs are one of the most essential parts of the vehicle motor as they give the spark that ignites the fuel and air mixture within the cylinders. This ignition keeps the car moving on the road. However, if you suddenly sense that there is something wrong with the performance of your car, this could be a sign that the spark plugs need replacement.
‘When should I change my car spark plugs’—this is the question that this article seeks to answer.
Below are the signs that your spark plug have reached or about to reach the end of their life, and hence need replacement.
- The engine has a rough idle. – Normally, the engine idles when it is stationary, and it cranks out about 1000rpm in this position. It gives off a constant, smooth sound but if the spark plugs are not performing as they should, the engine will give off a rough and jittery sound while producing more intense vibrations through the car. If this is left ignored, you will suffer from costly repairs in the long run.
- Starting that car is harder than it used to be. – A lot of people think that this is caused by a flat battery or being out of fuel, but one of the possibilities that they overlook is having a bad or worn spark plugs. Another possibility is that faulty plugs are causing the battery to drain. If you have any suspicions, take your vehicle to a professional garage right away.
- Does the engine misfire? – When the engine misfires, it causes the car to stop for a few seconds and then continues its movement. This indicates that one or more of the cylinders are not firing properly, which can also result in higher amount of emissions.
- High fuel consumption – One of the signs that your spark plugs have deteriorated is the noticeable reduction in fuel economy by up to 30 percent due to incomplete combustion. The only way to get back to your car’s optimum level of fuel consumption is to have the plugs checked by an expert mechanic.
- Engine surging – When a car sucks in more air than usual in the combustion process, it might jerk and slow down or continuously start and stop, which suggests its engine is functioning inefficiently.
- Lack of acceleration – Another tell-tale sign that your car needs spark plug replacement is when it is accelerating poorly. Normally, you will notice that it doesn’t want to respond when you put your foot down, or it does but not right away as you have become accustomed to. You will also feel as if your car is struggling to pull itself along.
The quality and condition of your spark plugs can make or break your car. Here in Dubai, there are a number of reliable auto service centers that you can count on when it comes to spark plug replacement, and Orange Auto is among them.